Thursday, March 18, 2010

Smoked Salmon Risotto



Still under the weather, but feeling much, much better. I'll be getting back into my normal cooking grove here very soon.

Last night Mr Humble made me dinner, a smoked salmon risotto, and it was so delicious I felt it was worth noting on the blog.

Of course, like most people from the Pacific Northwest, I am a little biased towards things that involve salmon. We do love our fish around here and we take it very, very seriously. You can go to just about any seafood restaurant in Seattle and find the menu will include a full seafood biography. Detailing the specific type of fish, how it was raised and how it was caught.

Salmon is rarely just 'salmon' in Seattle.

My personal favorite is wild caught Alaskan King salmon, of which I treated myself to a smoked fillet while shopping last Friday. One that I had been nibbling into oblivion over the course of the week. Lucky for the blog, Mr. Humble snatched it away from me and put it to good use.

After all, I probably can't get away with a blog post that consists only "Step 1: Buy Salmon. Step 2: Nibble." although I heartily endorse this practice.



Smoked Salmon Risotto with Lemon & Mascarpone
adapted from Good Food
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
350 grams Arborio rice
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups vegetable stock
170 grams smoked salmon, divided
85 grams mascarpone
3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
handful arugula (baby greens are best)
lemon juice
ground pepper

Reserving some large pieces of salmon to garnish, roughly chop the remaining smoked salmon and set aside.

In a large pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil and onion. Sauté for five minutes until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the rice and garlic to the pot and cook for two more minutes, stirring continuously. Add the white wine and a cup of the stock to the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently until the most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add another cup of the stock and continue to cook, stirring constantly until it too has absorbed. Repeat, until you've used all the stock and the rice is tender and creamy.

Remove the pot from the heat, add the mascarpone and stir until melted. Add the chopped salmon, parsley and lemon zest and mix. Season with fresh ground pepper and lemon juice to taste.

Plate the risotto with a some fresh arugula and the pieces of reserved salmon.

19 comments:

  1. dear lord that looks good. If I wasn't so bogged down with school work I'd go out and get me a nice piece of smoked salmon and do it myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...I love risotto, and I bet it was heavenly with the salmon. MmmMmmmMmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was at the gym yesterday some diva on the Food Network was twitting on about how risotto is so difficult to make and it will make your friends think you adore them...especially if you serve it in hollowed out lemons.

    I prefer your version. Tell Mr. Humble well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mouthwatering as always. Mr. Humble has lived up to the standards of Mrs. Humble's blog.

    http://reneetbouchard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only pray for a Mr. Humble of my own. That looks absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And if you have any leftover smoked salmon, then you should make some mousse! I just posted the recipe today :) I'll have to try our your risotto. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks ridiculously good. The risotto even without the salmon would be delicious and creamy with the lemon and mascarpone--the smoked salmon takes it the next level of greatness. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're feeling better, and glad Mr. Humble is looking after you. My own DH gets me takeout when I'm sick. He can't cook much, but he's a mean hand with a charge card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so good! my mom and i were just talking about how we should find a new salmon recipe. thank God i found your blog. :)

    i'm new to blogging, and i hope to one day have even a quarter of the number of your followers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooo, I am so jealous of you Seattlites, who can get the best salmon in the world! Us, deep Southerners have to settle with farm raised Chilean salmons....TS..terribly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!
    I left you a gift on my blog!

    http://tanjascupcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smoked salmon sounds like a lovely compliment to creamy risotto. I'll have to try this stunning recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Send your husband over here to make that for me for dinner. Kthanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This brings to mind that smoked salmon I saw at BJ's the last time I was there...a sign maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finished a "risotto" crazy phase, and my gf got incredibly tired of me making risotto. Plus, she hates salmon ... so, when she complains that I've fallen off the wagon and am now trying a dozen types of fish risotto .. I'm going to tell her it's your fault ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there! I really liked this recipe, I made it tonight. I also made a post about it on my blog. My blog is bi-langual, is it ok when I post a Dutch translation of the recipe (offcourse with a link to this post) on my blog? You can see the post as it is now on http://annecookingblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/smoked-salmon-risotto.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thnx! My non-English speaking followers will be very grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this last night for dinner w/ a couple artichokes on the side w/ a Telegraph wheat beer. delicious. did have to add a bit more liquid to the risotto and used the only thing on hand - a bit of a Widmer beer. turned out great, thanks for this beautiful recipe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails